Google
Web awayfromthecomputer.blogspot.com

Monday, January 23, 2006

You been to Mexico or somethin'?

Today at brunch an older busboy (a busman?) pointed at Yasmin's fuzzy boots and long coat and said, 'Wow, you been to Mexico or somethin'?'

Now, he had that Southern accent which seems to permeate every backwoods town in America (explain that, linguistics) so I imagine this man thought that every nonwhite person who came into the restaurant was from Mexico, which is apparently the opposite of America.

I don't know, maybe I'm wrong. Maybe Persians look just like Mexicans and sombreros are now part of everyone's winter attire. I'm not God. Or Mexican.

I can imagine that guy at home watching BET or the Asian cinema channel, scratching his head, and thinking, 'Those gal-durn Mexicans.' I guess this saves him time.

Speaking of Mexicans, time to eat at the Wendy's in the Union.

(El Sandwicho Pollo, por favor.)

Labels: ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home