Google
Web awayfromthecomputer.blogspot.com

Tuesday, January 10, 2006

The new Turing test

While I was at my lab meeting, Amy was going through my files and she found a picture I saved of a dead carjacker who had jumped from the roof of a building and accidentally, um, lost his head.

'WHY WOULD YOU SAVE THAT?' she asked.

The thing is, people, everyone needs horrifying pictures on their hard drives. What, then, would you send people you don't like? Viruses are for dog humpers. Email forwards are for old people (my grandpa once sent me a far right propaganda email proclaming America the last bastion of hope against those 'damn A-rabs'). You need to send them something that will make them scream, and in doing so prove that they are not a robot.

The Turing Test isn't as valid as before. Words don't distinguish who's human or not. Gagging at a picture of a dead carjacker or a jpeg of a man's stretched out butthole, though? That's just humanity.

(sushi.)

Labels: ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home