Google
Web awayfromthecomputer.blogspot.com

Friday, April 14, 2006

Norton firewalls, now with 50% more FEAR

I wonder who writes the safety alerts for Norton Internet Security: FE (Fascism Edition), the firewall/antivirus/popup blocker/ big brother on Amy's old laptop (which I am currently using due to my own computer blowing up).

Now, given that there are plenty of free safety programs for the learned, I'm going to say this now: Norton was designed for the computer illiterate. Now, given that, I'm sure whoever writes these alerts also writes for the evening news. Everything is a warning or a threat and it's all going over everybody's head so all they really remember from the experience is 'BE AFRAID.'

Saying 'Your computer has recently been ATTACKED by a BUFFER OVERFLOW to ITUNES AND QUICKTIME' is just as scary to the unlearned as 'Today we have an ORANGE ALERT because ANONYMOUS RELIGIOUS FUNDAMENTALISTS may ATTACK US SOMEHOW.'

I don't watch the news, but Norton keeps me afraid.

(Meeting.)

Labels: , , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home